28 October 2014
The Insider’s Perspective
This blog intends to do exactly what it says on the tin, give readers an insider’s perspective of Generation Success. Who am I: I have been part of this company since it was a student society at university where I studied law alongside James Adeleke. Admittedly I have taken a break from Generation Success to focus on my LPC and as I have recently finished I have found my way back to the company starting with the Breaking Barriers series of events. I was very pleased to see new faces in the team and a more diverse range of volunteers and team members. Having been part of the team since 2011 I have seen this company grow from the amazing and hardworking James Adeleke’s vision of tackling social mobility to a successful budding business which helps professionals, entrepreneurs and young people achieve their goals though our workshops, talks and more. Success can be measured in many ways, a couple of examples in my opinion is having developed a strong team and work ethic, and how Generation Success has reached out to professionals and young people and to see them take action; to take that first step to make their dreams come true. That could be anything from networking with the people who are going to help them in their career at one of our events or to take inspiration from talks we host and take action by, for example, creating a plan for their careers. These are just two encouraging statements of the many which were presented by the speakers at last night’s event: ‘Breaking Barriers: black history month special’.
We were lucky to have such inspirational speakers on the panel at this event which was hosted at BPP Waterloo including:
- Sonia Browne (MBE) who works in Professional Training & Coaching National Black Women’s Network (NBWN), Diversity Plus;
- Sharla Duncan – Ceo and Founder at Team Up, CEO and Founder at Yelp Student, Venture Lead at the Shaftesbury Partnership Ltd.
- Derick Tuitt – Director of Social Innovation at HP;
- Paul Smith – Chairman at Eversheds LLP;
- Sajna Rahman who works in Facilities Management at Sodexo,
- Jenny Garrett- who works in Leadership Development at Reflexion Associates,
We were also lucky enough to have workshops executed by the following professionals:
- Anastasia Petrova who works in banking at The Royal Bank of Scotland;
- Sajna Rahman and Samantha Bowman;
- Sonia Browne;
- Derick Tuitt;
- Jenny Garrett and Janice Gordon.
The following link contains the speakers’ bios which were handed to attendees of last night’s event. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zedtoxrhkv5vztd/COMBINED.docx?dl=0
Please attend our next event ‘Breaking Barriers in your career’ 17 November 2014 at BPP Waterloo. http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/breaking-barriers-in-your-career-business-tickets-13171555477